Woolwich

Woolwich attack: Armed officers arrest fifth man in connection with death of Lee Rigby

Woolwich attack: Armed officers arrest fifth man in connection with death of Lee Rigby

Lee-Rigby-1907757

A MAN was arrested today by counter-terrorism officers in connection with the death of Drummer Lee Rigby, Scotland Yard said.

Armed officers were involved in the arrest of the man, 22, on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, in St Paul’s Road in Highbury Grove, north London, the Metropolitan Police said.

He is the fifth man to be arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder Drummer Rigby, 25, in Woolwich, south east London, last Wednesday.

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: “At 2.35pm today a 22-year-old man was arrested by officers from the MPS Counter-Terrorism Command investigating the murder of Lee Rigby.

“The man was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder by detectives supported by specialist firearms officers.

“He has been taken to a south-London police station where he remains in custody.

“He was arrested in St Paul’s Road, in Highbury Grove, north London.”

The latest arrest came hours after members of the serviceman’s family visited the scene of his murder.

Woolwich terror attack: Grieving family of murdered soldier Lee Rigby overcome with emotion as they lay flowers at scene where he died

His widow Rebecca, mother Lyn, 46, and stepfather Ian, 54, laid flowers at the Woolwich Barracks where the soldier with the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers was based, and where hundreds of floral tributes have already been left by wellwishers.

Their visit came as Home Secretary Theresa May warned today there are potentially thousands of people at risk of being radicalised in the UK, as she indicated plans for a fresh crackdown on extremist groups.

Home Secretary Theresa May poised to bring back ‘snooper’s charter’ that will give authorities access to internet records

Nine people have now been arrested in connection with Drummer Rigby’s death.

Michael Adebolajo, 28, and Michael Oluwatobi Adebowale, 22, who are being held on suspicion of murder, remain in hospital.

Three men aged 28, 24 and 21 remain in police custody after being arrested yesterday on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder.

A 29-year-old man arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder has been released on bail, police said last night.

New poll shows 63 per cent of people living in UK would support the death penalty for convicted terrorists

Two women aged 29 and 31 who were held on Thursday on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder have been released without charge.

Kenyan anti-terrorism police today confirmed that Adebolajo had previously been arrested in the country close to the border with Somalia, where al Qaida-linked militant group al-Shabab is based.

Woolwich terror attack: Lee Rigby murder suspect was arrested in Kenya

Anti-terrorism unit head Boniface Mwaniki told the Associated Press he was arrested in 2010 along with five other men, all believed to have been preparing to train and fight with the group.

He said Adebolajo was later deported.

A Foreign Office spokeswoman confirmed that a British national was arrested in Kenya in 2010. “FCO provided consular assistance as normal for British nationals,” she said.

Kenya’s government spokesman later said Adebolajo,was arrested under a different name and taken to court before being handed to British authorities.

“Kenya’s government arrested Michael Olemindis Ndemolajo. We handed him to British security agents in Kenya and he seems to have found his way to London and mutated to Michael Adebolajo,” said spokesman Muthui Kariuki.

“The Kenyan government cannot be held responsible for what happened to him after we handed him to British authorities.”

Source : Daily Record

London: Man hacked to death with meat cleavers outside Woolwich army base. Terrorist?

London: Man hacked to death with meat cleavers outside Woolwich army base. Terrorist?

Woolwich-attacker-suspects-1905276

A man has been hacked to death and possibly beheaded in a suspected terrorist attack outside a military base in south-east London.

Key Points

  • Cleaver murder victim believed to be soldier
  • Mobile phone footage shows attacker attempting to justify attack
  • Alleged attackers shot by police
  • Witness: “They were just animals.”
  • PM David Cameron cuts short France visit

 

Eyewitnesses say two men used a car to run the victim over in broad daylight on a street about 200 metres from the Royal Artillery Barracks in Woolwich.

The men then attacked him with knives and a gun and then remained at the scene, asking passers-by to photograph and film them.

Footage shows one of the men carrying a blood-covered knife and meat cleaver and saying to the camera: “We swear by almighty Allah we will never stop fighting you.”

Watch the ITV footage (warning: contains graphic images).

Armed police shot and wounded the two attackers after being called to the incident by bystanders.

There are reports the dead man was a serving soldier who was wearing a t-shirt with the logo of the Help for Heroes military charity.

Witnesses describe horror of ‘crazy’ attack

One eyewitness, identified only as James, told local radio station LBC the two assailants “were hacking at this poor guy”.

“We thought they were trying to remove organs or something.

“These two guys were crazy, they just were not there, they were just animals.”

In the footage of the aftermath of the attack, one of the attackers makes a number of political statements while the body of his victim lies in the road behind him.

Speaking in a London accent, the man, looking agitated and angry, said: “I apologise that women had to witness that, but in our lands our women have to see the same thing.

“You people will never be safe. Remove your government. They don’t care about you.”

“They were just animals,” one eyewitness said.

“They then dragged the poor guy, he was obviously dead. There was no way a human could take that, what they did to him.

“They dragged him from the pavement and dumped his body in the middle of the road.”

Eyewitness Michael Atley said there was blood all over the road.

“It’s a scene out of a horror movie, to be honest,” he said. “It’s incredible, absolutely incredible, never seen nothing like it.

“Just a bad day. A bad day for the whole of Britain.”

PM Cameron rushes back from Paris, security tightened

Security is being tightened at British military bases in the wake of the attack.

Prime minister David Cameron, who rushed back from Paris to chair an emergency national security meeting, said there were “strong indications” that the killing was “a terrorist incident.”

“The police are urgently seeking the full facts about this case but there are strong indications that it is a terrorist incident,” he said from Paris.

“People in every community, I believe, will utterly condemn this attack.

“We have had these sorts of attacks before in our country and we never buckle in the face of them.”

Home secretary Theresa May said in a statement: “This is a sickening and barbaric attack.”

London mayor Boris Johnson said security would be boosted at all London barracks.

“I know that Londoners have been through terrorism before and this city has a huge resilience,” he said.

“What we also have is the best, the most professional security services and the best police in the world to protect us and they are now going to get to the bottom of what’s happened.”

Police are on alert for disturbances across London, with reports that supporters of the far-right English Defence League had clashed with police in Woolwich.

Source : ABC.net

Skip to toolbar